Monday, September 21, 2009

9/21/09 Letter from Elder Shelhamer

Hello! Today is my 4th day here in Cape Verde, and I am loving it.
I am currently serving on the Island of Fogo, in the area of Fonte Aleixo.
On Friday, we went to the Mission Home where the Mission President lives and where the mission office is. We had a wonderful dinner in the Presidents house and then went off to the assistants and the secretaries homes to sleep.
On Saturday, we were split up into the different areas in Praia, and went out and worked with the other Elders in the area for the day. I spent the day serving with Elder Luthi and Elder Rodriguez. (sp?). It was a lot of fun. We talked and taught a lot of people about the gospel. I spent the night with them.
On Sunday, we went to church. The church building is one floor of a multi-level building. It was pretty nice. There were a lot of people there. Right after church, I packed up all of my stuff and went to the assistants home to prepare to leave for Fogo. Our plane to Fogo was supposed to leave at 4pm, but ended up leaving an hour late. The airline here is interesting, they seem to go at their own pace with no cares. I see that in a lot of the Cape Verdeans. They really have no worries in their life and are very relaxed. They are a very kind and patient people. It is wonderful. Well, we eventually made it to Fogo, and met the Zone Leaders at the Airport. The Zone leaders then took me to my new home where I met my first companion, and my trainer, Elder Nóbrega. He is from Portugal, and seems like a great person. I have heard many great things about him from other people, and so I am very excited to find out what he can teach me. He only has five weeks here until he goes home.
Today (Monday) we went down to the beach for a while to sit by the ocean and play around. Today (Monday) and every Monday, is our Preparation Day when we have some time for recreation, cleaning, shopping, and other things. The beaches here on Fogo have black sand. It is very beautiful. I love the beaches here. After the beach, we went up to the airport at 10am when our bags were supposed to finally arrive. We decided to walk there, being that it is not too far (only a few miles), and an announcement came over the intercom saying that the plane is not coming in today. I´m not sure if they said why. So then we came down here to a place called "The room of information" where they have Internet that we can use.
I love Cape Verde so much, and I am so excited to be here for two years and serve the wonderful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment