Wednesday, October 7, 2009

9/30/2009 First week in Cape Verde

Ive been in Cape Verde for one week already. haha.
It was a great week. In my area we have a branch that meets in two different locations. We have a chapel that is pretty nice, and then a building about 30 minutes away that we meet in as well.
The members of the church here are very active in the church and love the gospel. Most of the members here are fairly recent converts, and love to be active. It is fairly easy to get the members to come out and teach with us. Also, since the gospel means so much in their lives, it is fairly easy for us to get referrals. People here want their family and friends to hear the message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ and have true happiness in their lives as well.
It is hard to describe the living conditions here. People live in cinder brick block cement houses, that usually wont have carpet or the necessities of most American homes. They really don't have much here, and live in poor conditions. When I say that, I do not mean that they are suffering or starving for food, but they simply live simple lives, and are very happy about it.
It is interesting to look at their clothing here, like their t-shirts, because most of the clothing here has come as donations from the United States, and so we will often see people wearing clothing with logos from American Cartoons such as Dora the Explorer, American Sports teams, special attractions (Ive seen a few Pennsylvania Shirts), and other stuff.
This past week has been very hot. Very hot. We walk A LOT up and down streets and hills, and sweat, a lot. haha. Also, the power is interesting here, and tends to go off at least once a day for an hour or more. Very interesting.
We come to an Internet Cafe every week to send emails.This week we had my first Zone Conference, where our Zone (approximately 12-15 missionaries) meet for meetings of information and instruction with the Mission President and his assistants. It was a lot of fun.
My first week we have already been teaching many lessons per day. We are currently teaching many people about the gospel of Jesus Christ, and helping them come closer to their Savior. The work is great.
I've learned this week to always work to develop more faith. Here in Cape Verde, they basically know Portuguese, but they speak different types of Creole and it is different, and hard to understand. I can not understand Creole yet, which is what they speak all of the time, and so, it is a bit frustrating at times. Imagine yourself, in a foreign country, Cape Verde, surrounded by good people that you don't know, and all of them are having conversations and looking at you. You have no idea what they are talking about or saying. haha. Its difficult. At times when I see people in a bar, or along the street smoking and watching us walk by, and they are having a conversation, I of course have no idea what they are talking about, and so sometimes I develop a little bit of a fear. This is the work of Satan trying to slow down my work, and dampen my spirit.
Fear, comes from Satan, and Faith and happiness can be found through the Savior. As we develop more and more faith in the Savior, we will find ourselves on safe ground. I have no reason to fear others, because I have great faith in Jesus Christ, and am pleased to be a Representative of Jesus Christ for the people here in Cape Verde, teaching and testifying of Him. I know that as I continue to study, teach, and pray, always inviting the spirit to attend with me, I will be safe, I will feel safe.
Missionary Work is great. I love it. I know that God does live. And He Loves ALL of His children around the world. I know that the gospel does bless lives, and I see if happen everyday. Jesus Christ is our Savior. The Church of Jesus Christ is His kingdom once again established on the earth, preparatory to His glorious second coming. I know these things to be true, and say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment