Monday, November 16, 2009

11/16/2009 Letter from Elder Joshua Shelhamer


This week on Sunday, as I was eating my lunch, my companion and I were listening to a CD of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. As one of the hymns played, "I'm trying to be like Jesus," I paid special attention to the words that were sung. I had never really listened and pondered the lyrics of this hymn before. They are beautiful.
This hymn reads: I’m trying to be like Jesus; I’m following in his ways. I’m trying to love as he did, in all that I do and say. At times I am tempted to make a wrong choice, But I try to listen as the still small voice whispers, “Love one another as Jesus loves you. Try to show kindness in all that you do. Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought, For these are the things Jesus taught.
How beautiful are the words and the message of this hymn. As we learn more about, and keep the commandments of Christ, we are indeed following him, but we must also do the things that he would do as well. As a Missionary, and as a Representative of Jesus Christ here in Cape Verde, I work full-time to always teach and do as Jesus would do, but the great thing about this hymn is that everyone can follow the message of this song and "love one another," try to show kindness," and always do the things that our Savior would do.
The work is pressing forward in full force here in Cape Verde. Please continue to pray for missionary work to continue to press forward in full-force.
I know that the Church of Jesus Christ which Christ once established on the earth during His earthly ministry has been restored. I have a strong testimony that the Priesthood or Authority of Christ has been restored. Jesus Christ is our Savior. He Lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment