Friday, August 7, 2009

8/7/09 Letter from Elder Shelhamer

I am now finishing up what is considered my fourth week here at the Missionary Training Center here in Provo, Utah. I love it here, and I am continuing to learn and grow everyday. It is amazing the amount of Portuguese I have learned so far. I have great teachers that are instructing me, and with the help of the spirit and the guidance of Heavenly Father, great things are being accomplished.
At this past weeks Tuesday evening devotional, my companion Elder Taggart and I were asked to provide the opening and closing prayers. This was a great experience. I was blessed with the opportunity to sit on the stage with the presiding authorities and the Mission Presidency. I was sitting on the inside seat on the stage, so I was also seen on camera for most of the devotional as well. It was a great experience. Great things happen here at the MTC. After the devotional, an Elder from the country of Reunion, which is a small country on the eastern side of Africa I believe, came up to me and told me that he really felt the sincerity and the love of God during my prayer. I was thankful for this experience, and humbled at how the Lord can work and touch others through some of the simplest tasks we complete.
This past Sunday, I was asked if I would serve as the district leader for my district here at the MTC. My district consists of 10 Elders. Six of us are going to Cape Verde, three are going to Brazil, and one is going to Portugual. I was happy to take upon the role of leading my district. One of the perks of this position, is that I get to pick up the mail every day now. haha. I love mail. Remember that.
I was pleased to walk into the cafeteria Thursday morning and see Sister Heather Todd sitting with her companion eatting breakfast. For those of you that are not aware, Sister Todd is from my Home Ward in Berwick, Pennsylvania. I found out that I have the same meal times as Sister Todd, and so I now see Sister Todd a few times a day.
One of the things that I have been focusing on this past week is "meeting the needs of my investigators." When teaching people our great message about the gospel of Jesus Christ and how the Church of Jesus Christ that he established has been restored, there are things that we as missionaries can do to best help those who want to learn more. Focusing on the needs, and the desires and questions of my investigators has quickly become one of the most important things while I teach. The Holy Ghost helps me find out what the person I am talking to needs to hear. Some people will need to be reassured that God lives, and that He is our Heavenly Father, while others need to learn that family happiness can last forever.
I am very thankful for everyone who has been writing me letters. Let me assure you that it is greatly appreciated. Letters and packages bring me great joy. Please continue to send me letters and packages as you see fit. Also please continue to keep missionaries in your prayers. As we are out in the world, engaged in one of the hardest tasks there is, we need your prayers.
I love this work, and I have great joy in serving my Heavenly Father. I know that this is the Church of Jesus Christ, and that He leads this church. I know that the Bible and the Book of Mormon can help us overcome temptations and challenges in our lives.
If you want to learn more about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, check out http://metromail.pa.metrocast.net/parse.php?redirect=http://www.mormon.org. This website has great information, and also has a 'chat' option where you can chat live on the computer with church representatives.
Elder Joshua Thomas Shelhamer

No comments:

Post a Comment