Another week has gone by here at the MTC, and what a wonderful week it was.
This week I have made great progess in learning the Language, and continue to plead for the spirit to accompany me in doing so. Every Thursday we have a Teaching Evaluation where we go somewhere and have our Portuguese and Teaching evaluated. We have been doing well.
We had a substitute teacher last night for one of our classes, and it happened to be someone that served in the Cape Verde Praia Mission where I am headed. He told us so many stories, and answered our questions, and truly boosted my excitement level of going to the islands. They way he described it makes it sound like a dream. He also told us that we will be learning and speaking three languages. Portuguese is the main written language, but we will also be speaking "Saopadjute" and "Badu" which are both unwritten languages. He really raised my dedication level, and I now have an even greater level of desire to learn Portuguese the best I can.
Today was the first day I was able to go to the Provo Utah Temple for a session. What a beautiful house of the Lord. I am so thankful that I am able to attend the Temple once a week.
I remember President Pugh, the past Harrisburg Pennsylvania Mission President giving me one piece of advice before I left, and that was to be obedient. I didn't think it was that big of a deal at the time, but I have come to gain a great understand for the reason of obedience to all of the mission rules we are given. As I continue to obey the mission rules with great diligence, I continue to find great blessings in my life.
I can feel the power of God's love here at the Missionary Training Center. The Holy Spirit is here as Heavenly Father's missionaries prepare to go forth unto all nations to testify of Him and proclaim his truth.
I hope that as you read this letter, you recognize the spirit testifying truth to you and feel Heavenly Father's love for you.
I love how when we teach the gospel of Jesus Christ, people respond and accept the gospel for one main reason; because its true. Some people may ask why I chose to become a missionary and proclaim the truth of the gospel, and so I came up with a few motives that encougraged me to serve. I have been greatly blessed, and in turn now want to let others know of the blessings they can recieve and the happiness they can enjoy. I want to share the glorious news that the gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored. I want to experience the joy of helping a soul come closer to their Savior. I want to show God's children, my brothers and sisters, the way back home. I want to make families feel closer together and loved.
Elder Bednar gave a devotional message here at the MTC, and address a question that many people may have. That question is "How do I know its the Holy Ghost or just me?" He answered saying: "Quit worrying about it. Press forward with faith. Our steps will be guided. Get to work. Be a good boy, and a good girl." He gave numerous examples of the Holy Ghost working in the lives of others. I can add my testimony to his saying that the Holy Spirit will guide us and protect us as we continue to be obedient to the commandments.
This past week we have a great devotional where they spoke about the Book of Mormon, and how the miracle of its translation. The Book of Mormon is available today in over 82 languages, and there are many more to come. Today it takes approximately 4 years to translate the Book of Mormon into a new languages, and translations are always taking place. Joseph Smith was only 24 years old when he finished translating the Book of Mormon, and it took him approximately 63 days.
Today is one of my teacher's last day here at the MTC, and so I am looking forward to her lesson tonight and the fun we will have. The teachers and professors here at the MTC are great and knowledgable.
I am thankful for the opportunity I have to be here at the Missionary Training Center and to serve a mission to testify of Jesus Christ and to invite others to come unto him.
I thank everyone for their letters. They truly inspire me and I get great joy out of recieving mail. Please continue to pray for me as I continue to do my best in serving my Father in Heaven with all of my Love and faith.
Elder Joshua Thomas Shelhamer

No comments:
Post a Comment