Saturday, July 18, 2009

My journey to the MTC and the first three days

My journey to the Missionary Training Center began on Monday, July 13th when I made my way to the Harrisburg Airport. My first flight to Cincinnati was cancelled, and so I was on the phone with the church travel office all day to get new flights planned. I worked with Norma in the church travel office and she was so helpful. She got me a bunch of flights and even called me back with earlier ones as she could get them for me. I was very grateful for her help.

I made it to Utah that evening and met Jeff Alley and his dad. They picked me up from the airport and we made our way to Logan where I stayed for two nights. I am grateful for everything that the Alley family did for me. I am very appreicatvive for all of their support and fun that they supplied. Thank you Alley family for everything!

On Wednesday, Jeff dropped me off at the Missionary Training Center at 12:45pm. When I arrived here, I had an overpowering witness from the Holy Spirit that this was the place for me to be. It is through the Holy Spirit that we are able to know through the feeling we recieve that things are good and/or true. The spirits' presence here at the MTC is just simply amazing. It is a remarkable feeling being here. I received a lot of information and made my way through orientation. We had a few sessions where teachers spoke to us. I met my first companion and he is very nice. His name is Elder Taggart and he is from Salt Lake City. In the Lord's work, it is always done by two or three witnesses, and therefore we are given companions to work with. I had an incredible first day.

On my second day here, the classes began. My language class is intense. After the first day of class, I can already testify in Portuguese that Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer and that I am very grateful for Jesus Christ. I can also testify of that the Book of Mormon is true, and that Joseph Smith is a true Prophet. I was so surprised at everything I learned in Portugese in one day, and all that I can speak already. Throughout my first day, I was a bit worried because as we kept learning new things, I was already beginning to forget things that I learned a few hours earlier. I pleaded with the Lord that night for the spirit to assist me and put my faith in Him.

I love this scripture that can be found in the Doctrine and Covenants 42:14 - "And the Spirit shall be given unto you by the prayer of faith; and if ye recieve not the Spirit ye shall not teach." I am a witness and know that this scripture is true. I know and have realized that if I do not pray with faith and for faith, and exercise my faith, I shall not recieve the Spirit, and I shall NOT teach. This can be read as a commandment from the Lord in that if you do not express faith, and have the spirit, he will not allow you to teach. I have also experienced for myself that this scripture is true.

I now know why they do not call this "Missionary Efforts" of "Missionary Help." The work I am engaged in is Missionary WORK, and I can testify that it IS work. This is the hardest work I have ever engaged in. This work is rigorous, and I am only in the learning process.

I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer. I know that Heavenly Father loves all of his Children and directs this work. I do know that the scriptures contain spiritual power that we can use to overcome tasks in our lives. I know that this is the Church of Jesus Christ restored in our days for us.

I testify of all the things stated, and do so in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Elder Joshua Thomas Shelhamer

No comments:

Post a Comment