Friday, July 24, 2009

10th day at the MTC

Wow! I've been here at the Missionary Training Center for over a week now. It is hard to believe. The days here feel like weeks, but the weeks feel like days.

I love this place and the spirit that can be found here.

My language studies have been going well. We learn so much everyday. My teachers, Brother Hibbert and Sister Olson are the best. They teach us so many great things.

This past week my companion and I completed our first Teaching Assignment. We went to a building where "fake investigators" come and we are given the opportunity to teach them and meet there needs. My companion and I did very well and our investigator said that he would have fulfilled the committments we gave him.

We have a gym period here 5 days a week, and I have been playing outside beach volleyball, indoor volleyball, running, and lifting weights.

Some people claim that the food here is not very good, but personally, I think that it is pretty good. We have had some great meals. The cafeteria is great.

Time here at the Missionary Training Center is very structured and organized. Every minute of my day is planned with great detail to avoid wasting any of the Lord's time.We have devotionals here every Sunday Night and every Tuesday night. On Sunday nights someone from the MTC usually speaks to us, and on Tuesdays a General Authority or Apostles comes to address us.I have only been here for two devotionals so far, but they were great.

I am in the Missionary Choir, and we perform at the Tuesday night devotionals. It is such a remarkable experience to sing with a heart full of praise with hundreds of other missionaries with the same desires.

Another thing I noticed that is unique to the MTC is that we sing 3 prelude hymns before the devotionals begin.I have a testimony that hymns and inspirational music invites the spirit into a meeting.

As I have been studying and practicing teaching, I have had much time to ponder on the scriptures. One thing I love about the Book of Mormon is that it IS true. I love the last two paragraphs of the Book of Mormon where it states:"We invite all men everywhere to read the Book of Mormon, to ponder in their hearts the message it contains, and then ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ if the book is true. Those who pursue this course and ask in faith WILL gain a testimony of its truth and divinity by the power of the Holy Ghost. Those who gain this divine witness from the Holy Spirit will also come to know by the same power that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the World, that Joseph Smith is his revelator and prophet in these last days, and that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord's kingdom once again established on the earth, preparatory to the second coming of the Messiah."

The Book of Mormon contains truths that can help us in our daily lives. This book is something that if you pray about it with a sincere heart, one WILL gain a testimony that it is true and come closer to our Savior, Jesus Christ.

Heavenly Father loves us very much and has blessed us with "Another Testament of Jesus Christ" to help us overcome the challenges we face today. He has restored his priesthood authority and called prophets to lead us in the right direction and safely back to him.

I would continue to ask for your prayers as I make it through my time here at the Missionary Training Center learning the Portuguese Language. I am exercising all of my faith, and doing my best, and your love and prayers help very much.

I would encourage everyone to continue to send me mail as you are inspired to do so. Mail is something that really brings joy to a missionaries life.

I want to know how you are, and by sending me mail, you can express your care and thoughts to me.

Thank you to those who sent me mail this past week.

I am thankful to be a missionary. I am thankful to be an instrument in the Lord's work to help bring souls unto Christ. There are many great campaigns in this world such as "Save the Rainforest", or "Save the Whales," but I believe I am engaged in the greatest campaign, that of "Save the People."

I know that God Lives, and that Jesus Christ is our Savior.I say all of these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Elder Joshua Thomas Shelhamer

No comments:

Post a Comment