Friday, August 14, 2009

8/14/2009 Letter from Elder Shelhamer

This week has been an exciting week. I have had a few flu-like symptoms and some cold-like symptoms, but I fixed that and I am feeling much better.
On Wednesday, two of my good friends, Elder Taylor Erickson and Elder Nicholas Ottley arrived here at the Provo MTC. Elder Erickson is staying in the room right beside mine. Same building, same floor,...next-door neighbors. How cool is that! I go over and chat with Elder Erickson and his roommates almost every night. They are going to the Phillipines. Elder Ottley is going to Hungary, and I run into him sometimes during meals and in the mail room.
Starting tonight, Friday, August 14th, my district will begin speaking the Portuguese Language 100%. I have been here for five weeks at the Missionary Training Center, arriving with no knowledge of Portuguese at all, and we are speaking it after five weeks. A lot of people when they read this will be shocked and wonder how this is even possible. Well, let me tell you this. Here at the Missionary Training Center, we prepare to go forth throughout the world, and proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ. Here at the MTC, we have faith in our Savior Jesus Christ, and we are entitled to extra help. We live our lives in a manner that invites the Spirit of the Lord to be with us. I have witnessed miracles here, and I know that Heavenly Father watches over and directs his work. It is amazing.
This week we had one of our district members, Elder Bontorno, leave and head to the Sao Paulo Brazil Missionary Training Center. It was sad to see Elder Bontorno leave us here, but we are glad that he was able to now move on to the Brazil MTC. Elder Bontorno was here in the Provo MTC waiting for his visa to clear in Brazil.
I am around the half-way mark of my time here at the MTC, and I am enjoying every bit of it. The church puts a lot of funds, time, and effort into missionary work, because they know how important it is. I am so thankful for all of the materials that they provide for us here to help us grow and learn. I am serving at a time when there has never been as much resources and materials for missionaries as there are today. I am very grateful.
Here at the MTC, every minute of my day is planned out specifically. This is the Lord's time, and so I am sure to plan to use His time wisely. My day includes, but is not limited to, eating meals, exercising, studying, reading, learning, teaching, and listening to speakers. I enjoy all that I study, and strive to do better every day.
God is our Loving, Heavenly Father. He knows us, loves us, and watches over us. He knows what we want, he knows what we need. Heavenly Father sent us His son, Jesus Christ, to Atone, and take upon Himself the sins of everyone;...he suffered, for us. We are able to repent of our sins, and come closer to our Heavenly Father, and feel His love for us.
If anyone reading this is feeling down or sad, or needs comfort and love in their lives, I would encourage them to go to http://www.mormon.org/, and take a look at what others have found as they have explored and accepted the gospel of Jesus Christ. There are many great free media items available as well that I would encourage you to check out.
I thank everyone for their prayers and their thoughts. They are felt and greatly appreciated. I also thank everyone for their correspondence, letters, and packages. Your love and care is needed and appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. wow nice article ,Excellent page...I appreciate this blog....
    wow nice article
    really a wonderful blog...
    Bathmate

    ReplyDelete