Friday, August 21, 2009

8/21/2009 Letter from Elder Shelhamer

I am now in my sixth week here at the Missionary Training Center. This past week our class has been speaking 100% Portuguese in class. At night while we are in the residence halls we speak English, but during the day we are doing our best to speak Portuguese.
We have about three weeks left here at the MTC, and we are thinking we might get our flight plans this next week. ( I hope so ) ha ha. The MTC is a great place, and I love it here a lot. We learn so much here, and I enjoy all of it, but I am getting excited now to go to Cape Verde.
Every Thursday night we have 2-3 hours to plan for the next week, and this week I planned a lot to accomplish this next week in my personal study and language study. I am doing my best to learn Portuguese and grasp the grammar concepts the best I can. I will not be 100% perfect in Portuguese by the time I leave for Cape Verde, but I am excited to get there and be surrounded by the language.
One of the great things about teaching about the gospel of Jesus Christ, and being a representative of Christ is that we are entitled to have the spirit with us, and the Holy Spirit really helps us and guides us in our teaching. Because of this great gift, once a week, an Elder has the opportunity to be taught by the district. Our district contains 9 great Elders. We take 15-20 minutes and ask one of us questions about their life such as "What do you fear most in life?" "Why did you choose to serve a mission" and so on... We then are able to think about the answers we receive from them and prayerfully come up with something that we feel can help this Elder out. We use the spirit, and teach to the needs of this person the next day. This past week, I had the opportunity to be taught by my district, and it was amazing how they were able to find out about my needs and teach me according to what the spirit prompted them to teach me.
Allow me to share some of the things I was taught and learned from this experience:
-The first thing shared with me was Mosiah 4:27 which states: "And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order."
- Next I was referred to 2 Nephi 32:1-6 which reads: "And now, behold, my beloved brethren, I suppose that ye ponder somewhat in your hearts concerning that which ye should do after ye have entered in by the way. But, behold, why do ye ponder these things in your hearts? Do ye not remember that I said unto you that after ye had received the Holy Ghost ye could speak with the tongue of angels? And now, how could ye speak with the tongue of angels save it were by the Holy Ghost? Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do. Wherefore, now after I have spoken these words, if ye cannot understand them it will be because ye ask not, neither do ye knock; wherefore, ye are not brought into the light, but must perish in the dark. For behold, again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do. Behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and there will be no more doctrine given until after he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh. And when he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh, the things which he shall say unto you shall ye observe to do.
- I was then told that most convert missionaries are some of the best and strongest missionaries because they have been "converted" to the gospel of Jesus Christ and realize its blessings.
- I was then instructed that the spirit will always help me, help others.
- They then shared with me Alma 17:11 which reads: "And the Lord said unto them also: Go forth among the Lamanites, thy brethren, and establish my word; yet ye shall be patient in long-suffering and afflictions, that ye may show forth good examples unto them in me, and I will make an instrument of thee in my hands unto the salvation of many souls."
- The next subject shared with me was 2 Nephi 28:30 which reads: "For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth I will give more; and from them that shall say, We have enough, from them shall be taken away even that which they have.
"The wisdom and inspiration that was shared with me from my district really made me think, and was exactly what I needed to hear at that time to strengthen and inspire me to do even better. I am so thankful for the Holy Spirit.
This past week seemed to go by pretty fast.
I thank everyone for their letters, thoughts, and prayers. Your concerns and love expressed for me and my work, is needed and used. I compare your encouragement, letters, and prayers to people standing along the streets of a race, or a marathon; yelling and encouraging the runners to keep going, not give up, and do their best. Please support me in the way you feel fit, and know that your love and support is appreciated more than I can express.
I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord's kingdom established on the earth preparatory to His second coming. God lives and loves us. Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer, and I am so grateful for his sacrifice for us.
Hope everyone is doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment