This week I have seen the great influence of others and the things around us that can effect the way that we act.
One thing that I have learned to be true is that each and every one of us, as children of a loving Heavenly Father, we have an enormous power and opportunity to choose for ourselves what is right. The principle of free agency, or in other words, the ability to use our free will to choose things in our life is a gift give to each of us from God. We know that as we strive to always choose the right, we have a promise with our Father that he will grant us His blessings.
Today on my way to this location where I use the internet, we were riding in a Taxi. We hopped in, and told the driver where we wanted to go. Quickly I noticed the type of music that this man was listening to, and they way he acted and lived. They were similar. The music he was listening to had some of the most vulgar words and lyrics that I have every heard. His appearance and lifestyle followed in the same manner. The song was in English, this man did not speak or understand English, yet, I could see the influence of this music on the life of this individual. I see this every day as I walk the streets here in Cape Verde. Many young people will see the popular "gangsters" and "rap singers" from America on TV doing things that are related to sex, drugs, and violence. These people want to be "cool" like them. These types of things that people see and hear influence them enormously.
I have a strong testimony that our surroundings, music, loved ones, and friends have a great influence on the way we live our lives. I know that as every one of us seeks the good things in life, the Holy Spirit will be with is to lead and guide us. I encourage everyone to always remember to be in good places, doing good things, and being influenced by good friends, and in turn, your life will be lead and molded to follow our Savior Jesus Christ.
Of these things I testify, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Friday, July 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment