Thursday, February 18, 2010

2/15/2010 Letter from Elder Joshua Shelhamer

This week I will write a little bit about Cape Verde from what I have seen and witnessed so far.
This country, or republic as it is officially called, is located off the western coast of Africa. The whole country is about 1,500 miles in total. It is said that about 20% of the population lives on less than $1.25 (U.S.) a day.
The culture here is beautiful, and the people, wonderful. With the help of Portugal, Brazil, and America, (only to name a few that I have seen the influence), the country is developing quickly and many well known American products can be found in some stores. A lot of families here in Cape Verde have members of their family living in Boston in the United States. There is a direct flight from Boston, USA to Cape Verde Praia, and so family's can easily travel to this location. Many of those that live in Boston will ship American products to family members in Cape Verde in large barrels on boats.
There are banana trees in some areas, and people walking up and down the streets selling bread, bananas, and fish (only to name a few) every day.
The climate seems to stay in the 70-90 year round and possibly a bit warmer; I have not yet experienced the summer season yet.
I love the culture here. It is different to live on an island. One thing that is marvelous about Cape Verde is the beautiful sun set. It is just wonderful.
This is just a little bit about Cape Verde that I have experienced and seen so far, but to experience the full effect of Cape Verde, make a visit and experience the wonders of Cape Verde for yourself! It is well worth it!
I hope everyone is doing well, and hope to hear from you all soon.
Also - Please note that this site is in no way associated with or managed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but only a personal account of my experiences serving as a missionary in Cape Verde.

1 comment:

  1. My son (Elder Brown) is currently serving and is on the Mindello island. I was trying to look up his location on google earth and this blog popped up. So grateful as I haven't seen any pictures (yet). I will check here often and hopefully I'll see some pictures of Dallin. Thanks! Amy (amygreening@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete